Monday, January 31, 2011

Misc Monday with a headache

Miscellany Monday @ lowercase letters

This weekend was wonderful! Blissfully warm and wonderful, I even sat on the back porch a drank a cup of tea wearing flip flops. 


a nice cup of teaa cup of tea and an itty bitty baby bump


But today it's gray and rainy and rather dismal and I have a pretty bad headache - like just about every other day this week. I should be sneaking in a little cat nap before it's time to get the kids from school but I could not let today go by without posting my random Monday thoughts.

{one} this has been the week I've "popped" at least just a little. My itty bitty preggy belly is now out there for everyone to see. I still think I look chubby instead of pregnant but that's pretty much the way it will be until I get to my third trimester, I guess! Everyone pops at different stages in their pregnancy and I'm a late one! Which is nice because then I don't get asked "haven't you had that baby yet?!" no, I don't get asked that at all.

{two} another wonderful thing about warm weather is salads. I think my family is just about ready to be done with soups. I made one just about every week this winter which has been wonderful, but I'm ready to move on to salads. I made a really great one for lunch on Sunday with lunchmeat, hard boiled eggs, orange bell peppers, broccoli, tomatoes, cucumber, golden apples, nectarine & strawberry. It was so yummy! For the kids I just put the individual ingredients in slightly bigger pieces on their plates. They might not like salad but they LOVE a veggie plate!

{three} over the weekend my littles thought it was great fun to dump out the contents of the big plastic toy container that I (try to) keep in their room and use it as a toy. It's pretty much the only thing that they played with all weekend long. They sat in it and on it, hid under it, jumped off it - tried to whack each other with it... drove me crazy but at the same time made me smile - don't kids just love the simplest things?! Yeah - sometimes - other times it's the super-annoying loud toy with gizmos and gadgets out the wazoo or the toy with a bazillion pieces - but the most lasting ones are the simple ones.

{four} another wonderful thing that happened this weekend was grocery shopping. Yes - grocery shopping - but here are the two magical little words that made this so special - by myself. I shopped for an entire weeks worth of groceries for the first time in a looong time. Usually the little man and I run in and get just what we need for the next couple days. It's not ideal but it's how I get by. Going by myself and getting enough for a whole week was wonderful! While I was there I ran into one of my girl's teachers from school, she asked me if this was my routine. I almost laughed when I said that I'd just run out of everything and had to go to the store. Sometimes I think people assume that because I have sort of a large family that I must be this super-organized super-mom who runs her life on an amazingly well-tuned routine and makes macaroni and cheese from scratch. I am so not that person. Maybe baby number five will change that...

probably not.

{five} kool-aid. Do you remember that stuff? I used to drink it when I was a kid. Every once in a while I pick up a little packet for mine... Well, we had an empty juice bottle (I had tried the Trop50 Apple Juice - SO GROSS!!!) and one of the kids filled it half-way with water and wanted to carry it around the house and shake it up. I said "hmmm... I think I have a packet of kool-aid in here somewhere, let's shake that up." so we made some pink lemonade flavored kool-aid - I was super-proud of myself for figuring out how to pour the sugar into the tiny opening in the juice bottle - I used a plastic baggie with a corner cut to make a make-shit funnel. And we drank all of it in one day. Mostly me.

{six} Have you heard the new song from Andrew Peterson dancing in the minefields? It is so good. If you haven't go listen to it now.

Okay - there's the alarm on my cell phone, it's time to pick up the kids from school!

2 comments:

  1. I love Kool-aid!! aaahhh...the good old days! You know what I had recently too? Country Time Lemonade...still soooooo delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't remembered how good kool-aid is until recently. My future step-children loooove it! Then I made it, I also obviously forgot how much sugar was in it. but definitely good for a now and then treat.

    I love your comment...grocery shopping, by yourself. I love to get away, especially when i have been alone by myself with the kids for a while. I go EXTRA slow though.

    ReplyDelete