Thursday, October 6, 2011

When the kids won't sleep...

Katie-Abigail June 06
a photo from back in 2006

I've been wanting to write here more... I have so much to say about being a mom but am so insanely busy with my other blogs and projects that it's hard to take time to stoop and just write it out... you know all those thoughts scurrying around my mind, snippets and snapshots and pieces of perspective that I want to share here. But I want it to be brilliant, pround and longer than just one or two sentences. But this is where I am in my life right now and so I'm going to embrace simplicity and micro-blog in this space.

 I'm writing this on my iPad, sitting on the floor next to my son's bed. He is fighting sleep tonight, more than the usual fight. His sister on the bunk above him finally gave up and is being quiet - at 9:30. Needless to say getting ready for school tomorrow may be extra-challenging.

Sometimes in situations like this, when my kids won't sleep, when I have a lot of work to do once they finally go to sleep, when I know that every minute they spend fighting sleep is another bit of grumpiness for the morning - I start to spin out of control. I start to raise my voice, I sense those frantic feelings start to well up inside of me.

I have to self-soothe before I can even start to help them calm down. I notice the calmer I am the calmer they are- especially at bed time. So the quickest way to get them to stop fighting me is to stop fighting this moment and just sit and be still with them.

I sing my latest favorite song, or a classic sleepy-time song. My latest thing is that I've started counting to 100. It calms me down, it calms my little man down and he sleeps.

What do you do when your kids won't go to sleep?

1 comment:

  1. My mom reminded one night when I was pretty worked up and tired with a baby who would not close her eyes... There will be a day, one day sooner than you think, when you will miss the nights when they are not sleeping down the hall, when they aren't small enough to rock and when they call you for advice on there own little ones and you would love to hold them in the middle of the night again.

    I try to remember that right before I go in to rescue my screaming toddler at 2 am... that one day she will be grown and away from me.

    ReplyDelete